What to Expect for Pediatrics
Neurotech In-Home Monitored EEG for Pediatric Patients
Before your appointment:
- Neurotech technologists are trained and experienced in working with pediatric and special needs patients. They will make sure your child is comfortable during the initial hookup appointment and throughout the recording.
- A Neurotech EEG technologist will call you 24-48 hours before the scheduled appointment to confirm the date and time, explain the procedure, and complete health questionnaire.
- Please plan for your child to stay home for the duration of their in-home EEG study.
- It is critically important for your physician and Neurotech monitoring staff to access your child’s EEG daily.
- Please plan on supervising your child throughout the duration of their in-home EEG recording.
The day of your EEG hookup - Patient Safety:
- Your child’s safety is our priority! Neurotech follows the CDC’s and local health department’s recommendations for infection control during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Our technologists use appropriate personal protective equipment and are trained in infection control precautions.
- If you or any of your household members have symptoms or were exposed to COVID-19, please let us know and we will reschedule your visit.
EEG Hookup Appointment:
- A Neurotech EEG technologist will come to your home to set up and start the study.
- The technologist will measure and mark your child’s head and apply 21-23 EEG electrodes.
- Once the EEG electrodes are in place, technologist will wrap your child’s head with a conforming bandage to make sure the EEG wires remain secure.
- The technologist will explain how the equipment works, how to position equipment at night when your child goes to sleep, and how to mark events and seizures.
- Your child will be able to move, walk, and play.
- In-home EEG hookup appointments usually last about 1.5 - 2 hours.
- A Neurotech laptop will be left with you in the home to facilitate remote monitoring. If your EEG requires video, a camera will also be left with you in the home.
- During your EEG, it is critically important for your child to stay in the same room as the recording laptop and, if it is a Video EEG, in the camera's view. This way your physician and Neurotech's monitoring staff will be able to access the EEG throughout the recording.
- Your child’s in-home EEG will be monitored intermittently by Neurotech's Registered EEG Technologists.
- The monitoring technologist will log in and remotely check the integrity of the recording throughout the duration of the study.
- The remote monitoring technologist may call you if they notice a problem with the electrodes' connectivity or if the laptop signal is lost.
- An on-call technologist may be dispatched to your home to troubleshoot and fix any problems.
- Neurotech remote monitoring technologists are available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns. You can call Neurotech Support line 24/7 at (866) 641-1777.
- When it is time to end your child’s EEG, a Neurotech monitoring technologist will stop the recording remotely and assist you with disconnection.
- The EEG equipment will be picked up from your home promptly.